I love making variations of pasta dishes that incorporate vegetables for a satisfying vegetarian meal. This pasta puttanesca is simple to make, but the fresh herbs make it taste delicious!
1/2 lb dry pasta
1/2 cup black olives, sliced
1 can crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
Handful of basil leaves, roughly chopped
1 medium eggplant, diced into ~1 inch cubes
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
Fresh shredded parmesan cheese
Salt, pepper, dried italian seasoning, oregano, crushed red pepper
2 tbsps canola oil
1. Add oil to a saucepan and heat on medium. Add diced onion and cook while stirring until onion is translucent.
2. Add garlic and saute until slightly browned (~1 minute).
3. Add the diced eggplant and saute briefly.
4. Add the crushed tomatoes and decrease heat to medium. Allow the tomatoes and eggplant to cook for 10-15 minutes, or until eggplant is mostly cooked.
5. Add black olives and continue cooking.
6. When eggplant is soft and cooked, add roughly chopped fresh basil leaves, salt, black pepper, 1 tbsp dried italian seasoning, 1 tsp oregano, and crushed red pepper to taste. Keep the sauce warm while the pasta cooks.
7. Cook the pasta in boiling water and drain.
8. Spoon the sauce over the pasta and add shredded parmesan cheese.